Monday, March 19, 2012

Ranger Things

When you work outdoors as a Ranger and Ski Instructor, as I did for most of my life, you are very aware of the weather and the change of seasons.

Rangers have a very precise way of determining when the various seasons begin.  Summer begins the first day that you decide to eat your lunch in the shade instead of sitting in the sun.  Fall begins the day you decide to sit in the sun while eating your lunch, instead of the shade.

Winter’s first day is when you decide to sit inside your vehicle to eat lunch.  And Spring begins when you think sitting outside in the sun feels better than staying the vehicle.

***********************

 Out in the forest one day shortly after I transferred with the Forest Service to California I noticed a fern-like plant with little white flowers.  I asked a co-worker what it was called.

“Oh,” he replied, “that’s bear clover.”

What an odd name I thought, “Why do they call it that?”

He leaned on his tool for a moment, looked up at the sky and then said, “Well, I guess it’s ‘cause it’s not clover and bears don’t like it.”

***********************

No comments:

Post a Comment